PhD position: Cell Scaffold Development for Stem Cell Differentiation
- Physics, Biochemistry or Polymer chemistry
- Johannes Kepler University & University of Applied Sciences, Linz, Austria
The position is part of the FWF funded project “3D Lithographical Scaffolds for Stem Cell Differentiation". This is a collaborative project of the two groups of Prof. Klar at the Johannes Kepler University (JKU), Linz (3D lithography) and of Prof. Jacak at the University of Applied Sciences, Linz (fluorescence microscopy, cell-cell interactions and stem cell differentiation). Within this project, you will develop 3D, extracellular matrix-mimicking cell scaffolds and study the influence on stem cell differentiation and cell-cell interactions. You will develop complex scaffolds, written with two photon lithography and/or STED lithography at JKU, allowing for feature sizes ranging from micro- down to nanometers). Such scaffolds shall be seeded with mesenchymal stem cells and the cell-cell as well as cell-scaffold interactions will be investigated in-vitro at the nanoscopic level. Your work includes training on the following techniques: MPL-lithography, STED-lithography, fluorescence microscopy and localization microscopy (dSTORM). The position shall be filled as soon as possible. The candidate will be initially hired for one year, but funding for a total of three years is available if the project develops well. The candidate may use the results for a PhD thesis.
MSc degree (or equivalent) in physics, biochemistry or polymer chemistry. Experimental experience in optics, biophysics, lithography or fluorescence microscopy would be of advantage. The ability to work independently in the lab, creativity, and the motivation to work in an interdisciplinary team are expected.
• Pursuit of an interesting, current and medically/clinically relevant topic
• Work in a cooperative, interdisciplinary atmosphere in 2 highly equipped labs
• Proper supervision
• Possibility to visit national and international conferences/workshops
Please provide your application with:
• 1-page cover letter stating your motivation and background for applying for the position
• Diploma and transcripts of records (BSc and MSc)
• Full contact details (Name, address, telephone & email) of 1-3 professional referees
We especially encourage women to apply.
The university welcomes applications from qualified applicants who have physical disabilities. These applications will be given special consideration.
- Name: Thomas Klar
- Name: Jaroslaw Jacak